Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Geometry 
(Squat)

The squat is my favorite lift! A squat is when a competitor has the bar and desired weight on their back they must then squat down until their quad makes a 90 degree angle or less with the floor [angle Knee-Hip-Floor would be created - See picture below]


If a squat does not reach 90 degrees or less then the lift does not count, therefore will not score for this lift and their total score will "bomb." The more weight you have on the bar the easier it is to go down, but the harder it is to go up; thank you gravity! Watch and see if my lifts make it to or below 90 degrees!

Due to gravity it is very difficult to impossible  to reach a 90 degree angle if you simple bend at the knee keeping your lower leg and torso perpendicular to the floor [as if you were sitting properly in a char]. Therefore when squatting it is important to move your body using different angles in order to maintain balance. See picture below.


As you can see in order to create a 90 degree angle with me knee-hip-foor,  I need to create a 58 degree angle at my knee and and a 55 degree angle at my waist. Then all that is left to do is drive up through the center of my feet, push my hips floor and stand tall!

No comments:

Post a Comment